Landing Page - notifications & collecting information

I’m just creating my first Landing Page, in place of a standard Webform. The design functionality is amazing, but as a new user, I feel that I’m missing something here. Intent: client completes LP form, I (or my assistant) receive an email notification with all of the LP form info included.

1. In Webforms, there’s a tab for sending a notification that the form was completed. I don’t see that functionality in the New LP Builder (though it’s in the old Submit Landing Page). How do I have a notification sent?
  2. I’d like to be able to collect the info collected on the LP form, so that I may then contact the prospective client. Where does that collected information go? I just created the input fields in the builder and don’t see those fields as Merge options when creating an email sequence.

I hope this makes sense. And thanks for your help!

4 Likes

Hey Mark,

I don’t think you’re missing anything, there are definitely some differences in how the new landing page builder collects and stores data, as compared to the older landing page and web form options.

So, there currently isn’t a “notifications” option for the new landing pages. (Though rumor is that they’re working on that)

The work-around solution is to add a sequence AFTER the landing page, and merge in the fields you captured, and direct that email to whomever needs to be notified.

The problem with this is that it exposes another shortcoming of the new landing pages - virtual fields don’t actually store their data anywhere.

So, you can collect info through a landing page in one of two ways - contact fields, and virtual fields.

Contact fields store the info back to the contact record, as you’d expect.

But virtual fields don’t actually store the info anywhere. They’re like temporary place-holder fields that allow you to collect info, without counting against your limit for custom fields.

But if they don’t store the info anywhere…then why are they useful?

The answer is tags.

The virtual fields (radio options, checkboxes, or dropdown fields) can all assign tags. That means that whichever option they select, can apply a corresponding tag. Then that tag is attached to the contact record, and can be used to start/stop automation, or to segment future searches and reports.

This means that, for now, the best practice is to apply a tag for any option you want to track - whether it’s checkboxes, radio options, or whatever. If you’re using a virtual field, then you should also be applying a tag.

4 Likes

Great explanation, @Greg_Jenkins!

1 Like

@Greg_Jenkins, thank you so much for such an awesome explanation! And on a Sunday evening, no doubt! (I wasn’t expecting an answer from anyone for a few days!)

Certainly - the Virtual Fields were quick and easy to set up, as was the entire Landing Page, but the fields are (somewhat) meaningless if I can’t automatically capture that actual data. For me and my business, a Webform is the most useful when I can capture customer input (sometimes in their own words), have it emailed to me, and I can act on that - by reviewing responses and picking up the phone to engage the client.

I already tried to add an email sequence after the submission and merge the Virtual Fields into the body, though the fields don’t appear as Merge options. Your answer seems to clarify that: they aren’t actual data. So, back to my original question - is it possible to pass that actual data through (even if to just dump it into an email sequence, and not via a Tag), and how? Seems that the answer is in line 4 of your reply - No.

I’ll certainly take your advice and see if I can create a post-submission sequence that works for me, and also apply the tags. Will let you guys know about my efforts. And Greg - the New Landing Pages are almost perfect. Looking forward to see how IS improves them in the future! And thank you again for your reply!

Mark

5 Likes

Same problem here, thanks for asking this. we register clients for events - crucial to have the information collected and notification sent to us I hope you can share if you work out the best way to get around this.

2 Likes

I just ran into this as well and here’s the workaround I used:

1. Replace the landing page goal with a web form goal (but still keep the landing page goal on your campaign canvas)
  2. Once you’ve created the web form and configured the settings, copy the javascript snippet.
  3. Go onto your landing page and delete the form that came with the template
  4. Add a code snippet where the form used to be and past in the javascript code

Although the form doesn’t look as pretty as the new landing page forms, it did the trick and emailed out all the form data.

Craig

1 Like

@Craig_Slater Thank you for this response! I’ll take a look and see if I can make that work.

Part of the goal was to use the new LP wizard and have the “pretty” page. But it’s just slightly more important for me to have all the data collected and forwarded. I’m hoping they’ll get this addressed soon! (hint, hint, Infusionsoft!)

Mark

2 Likes

@Craig_Slater @Greg_Jenkins

Update: I was able to follow Craig’s directions and replaced the LP form with a Webform. This allowed me to capture all of the data in the fields (despite how messy the notification email is, it does the trick!). The last complicating factor is that the Thank You page mechanism doesn’t work the way it should. (it either re-directs to a Webform Thank-You page, or it inserts that page as an in-line frame into the new LP page; but it doesn’t progress to the new LP TY page)

Just a bit frustrating, since my tracking Pixel is on the new LP TY page. However, in the short term, I’ll take the submitted client data over the tracking data.

Hoping this gets sorted out soon!

2 Likes

@Greg_Jenkins’ the man! There are other methods to implement tracking but they are more programming centered and not for the faint of heart…still it’s always an option :wink:

1 Like

Adding an email sequence after the landing page was a great suggestion. I actually like that I can create a unique “branded” notification and assign it to whoever needs to be notified.

2 Likes

I agree, I have just spent a great amount of time building a landing page only to realize that I cannot set up notifications for each landing page submission and all of the “virtual data” is literally virtual and completely lost. What’s the point of those fields? I like the idea of the email sequence except that is an extra step that’s not required with web forms. If only web forms were “pretty” - but with the web form, I have to actually style it myself in order for it to match our website. Very frustrating as I was very excited about the options and features of the new Landing Pages

Right, you’re correct about that.

Another option that COULD work would be embedding the Infusionsoft Web Form ON the new Landing Page, using a code widget.

That way you could use the web form notification to send you details when the form is actually submitted.

As to your other question, about the virtual fields - they don’t “do” anything. But that doesn’t make them useless, ya know? The fields are basically placeholders, and you can apply tags when those placeholder values are selected.

In effect, the virtual fields are a way to give prospects the ability to tag themselves. They make a selection on the form and the corresponding tag is applied when they submit that form.

Thanks, Greg. You’re right, in thinking about the virtual fields, we were able to use that for an email preference center that tags contacts based on the preferences they self-select to. For most of our other form uses, it seems it would be helpful, though, to have that information feed somewhere as an option.

I so appreciate the idea about using the code in the landing page. Do you know if that would be styled the same “pretty” way the forms are styled in the Landing Pages? That would be my only concert - but it sounds like a good workaround.

I think it probably would NOT be styled in the same way the rest of the page is. :confused:

But hey, test it! I’d love to be wrong.

I’m currently using that exact technique on my webpage (hybrid of old Webform + New Landing Page). The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:

The Good - it actually works. I created the original form as a Webform. (I think my styling there was minimal.) I was then able to add the form code into the new Landing Page. And I’m still receiving the notification emails I need for my business.

The Bad - It took a lot of manipulating to put it all together, and to get the completed form to progress to the Landing Page Thank You page. And a lot of other stuff to work with Google Tags for conversion tracking.

The Ugly - All the work it took to get here. Makes me never want to do another one in my life. And the notification email is not easy to read, as it provides True/False for EVERY SINGLE FORM OPTION on my form.

Hey, InfusionSoft - I totally get where you’re going here with Tags. But sometimes, you’ve just gotta give the people what they want and need, y’know? Just a different use case…

1 Like

We have a potentially free tool that may help with this… We call it “Summarize Tags”. For a given contact field and tag category it will put the name of each tag of that category that the customer has into that custom field. We built it for some other purpose but if you were to put the tags for the different virtual fields into a tag category unique to each field it should do the job.

To put the “summary” of tags into the custom field just requires an http post (one per virtual field you want to put in a contact field).

By “potentially free” it means that we offer a few free tools for life, so if you aren’t using another of our tools, this one would be free.

Joey

Completely agreed. Really what is the point of the landing page that does not collect the data?

1 Like

I ran into the same misunderstanding now - I created my website in wordpress, and followed keap tutorials to create my “contact landing page” so that potential leads can ask a question or send a comment.

A couple of days later through manual checking, I found out that two of my new contacts have a tag “reached out via contact landing page” but I never got their questions/messages. So I had to reach out to them personally and ask again what their question was. Embarrassing.

Why would keap let me add a comment field in my landing page, and mark it as required if it was not going to save and share my client’s response?!

Or am I missing anything?

Is there still no simple solution to this question, years after it was raised here? Do I still need to hack the landing page by embedding a web form inside?

And if so, how can I add the “ask question” field in my web form? I’ve been trying to find out from different keap tutorials, unsuccessfully so far…

Please, help me save time and my sanity. Thank you!

Solution for anyone who’s struggling with this:

• EMBED GOOGLE FORM in your Thank you Page

Step 1: Keep the landing page simple: just the name & email address to sign up. Delete/don’t use any virtual fields.

Step 2: Create a google form with your question.

Step 3: Edit the “Thank You” page by embedding the HTML code of the Google Form.

Step 4: Collect all responses in a google spreadsheet.

Case example: I’m launching a webinar and I wanted my students to let me know their #1 question prior the event (so that I can customize/personalize the content to fit their needs better). So after booking their seat for the webinar (via keap landing page), they can type in their #1 question to the google form that pops up in the keap Thank You page.
You can turn on google form notifications to get an email each time a new response arrives.

This solution doesn’t work for a web Contact Page though, which was my original struggle. So I just went with a simple WP Form plug-in on my Wordpress site. For now, I don’t have any automation for those who submitted a question anyways so I’ll be doing those manually as they come through the WP form.

Hope this helps someone now or in the future!

All the best to everyone!
Alena

Hi Alena,
every time you add a contact field to your page it will do what it supposed to do.
Normally, I would say “the simple fix to get notified is” but this does not need fixing because nothing is broken.
Just create a simple task where you will be notified on LP submission and in the task you will insert all the contact fields you used when creating the LP.
~Contact.FirstName~
~Contact.LastName~
~Contact._Customdata~

On the other hand, if you use webforms, you can set notifications to receive this data automatically. LP do not have that option, at least I didn’t work with it yet.

I hope this helps.