Value of creating a special opt-in to monthly email?

I want to send customers and prospects a monthly calendar that I think they will find useful. Is there any value in asking them to opt-in to this calendar email? I would know who really wants it, I guess.

Also, I am not sure how to make a special opt in. Can someone give me a link or a clue?
j

1 Like

You wouldnā€™t really be creating a special ā€˜opt-inā€™ ā€¦ (in the terms of the ā€œopt-inā€ sequencing inside the campaign builder).
You would just be applying a tag to the person indicating their interest.

Two ways to do it:

1. Create a web form and have them fill that out with a checkbox (tied to a tag) that says ā€œYes, Iā€™m interestedā€

2. Add a button to an email (tied to a tag) that says ā€œYes, Iā€™m interestedā€ and have that redirect to your website.

Jeff

SB Certified Guide Sig.png

1 Like

Oh Thank You. I was hung up on this idea of opting in. But a button would be perfect.

But, why would the button redirect to the website? To a thank you page? Or were you thinking this would be where they downloaded the calendar? I was thinking of just having a link in the email to a infusionsoft-hosted pdf.

j

You can also create a special opt-out. At the bottom of the email, just above the unsubscribe link, you can put something like ā€œIā€™m not interested in this calendarā€. When they click it, tag them, something like ā€œNever send the calendarā€. Then you filter out those contacts when sending the calendar each month. Be sure to remove the ā€œNever send the calendarā€ tag on any opt-ins that you create, or youā€™ll get conflicting automation, which defeats the purpose.

You can also create what I call an interest tag. When they click to download the calendar, they are at least slightly interested. They at least want to look at it. So if they click to download the calendar, add a tag, something like ā€œCalendar interestā€. You can use this however you like. I more or less use it as a simple pointer, sometimes filtering email broadcasts based on it. One thing Iā€™ve considered, but not implemented, is that if itā€™s been a while since the tag was applied, remove it. This would indicate the customerā€™s disengagement with that particular interest.

The point of the interests tags is to create lots of them; basically everything they can click in an email should apply a tag. After some time of people clicking, you can get some data on what your customers actually want. This will give you ideas to move forward with new projects, or drop the loser projects. If you find particular interests are always well received (e.g. a big portion of your customers have the Calendar interest tag), you can go for the ā€œspecial opt-inā€ and ask them explicitly if they want this thing. Then just add a tag, like ā€œCalendar opt-inā€. You can then use this exact same opt-in for gaining new customers. If your existing customers are opting in to the Calendar, then prospective customers likely will as well. You can move ahead with confidence and lead generation on your Calendar project because you will have data behind it.