Using tags in Infusionsoft

Hello there!

My name is Krzysztof and I work for LiveChat Inc. (https://livechatinc.com/) Technical Department. We are integrating our software with Infusionsoft in a way that allows our customers to create a new Contact straight from a chat. The integration is running great but recently I have been approached by a customer who asked the following question:

Would it be possible to set up the LiveChat integration so that every time a new Contact is created, Infusionsoft automatically tags it with the selected phrase?

At the moment, from the backend perspective, we do not have a property that would send a tagging request to the Infusionsoft, but I would like to know if this is something that could be set up in IS settings directly (for example, setting some kind of a relationship that would detect a new Contact and automatically adding a tag).

I admit that I’m no Infusionsoft expert, that’s why I posting a question here. Unfortuantely, I was not able to find an article that would confirm or deny a feature like auto tagging in Infusionsoft.

Thank you in advance for your help! And, in case of any questions, feel free to ask :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Krzysztof, LiveChat Inc.

I would like to kick this off with one option, but there is one downside to this option.

In your Admin>Settings, under the Application section, if you scroll down to the bottom under the API configuration, there are action sets that can be configured to run on Incoming new contacts, and Incoming update contacts. 2017-07-05_1110

You could configure this to tag contacts being created via the API, but the downside is, this would be global, meaning if you had another integration that sends contacts to the app via api, they would trigger the same action set. I am not sure if this would work for you, but I at least wanted to start with this, as I wasn’t sure if you had looked into this option.

Hi @Krzysztof_Kraus,

As @James_Mefford mentions, there is an action set for api created contacts. The downside is, as mentioned, two fold. First, it would trigger on all api created contacts. Second, it will NOT trigger on any contacts created within the UI. For that a webhook solution would be needed. It doesn’t sound like that would be an issue here but just FYI. It was unclear as to weather or not the contacts getting created was already integrated with Infusionsoft or if this was just in reference to LiveChat creating a contact on the WP site?

I’m quite certain this can be accomplished but it is not an Infusionsoft “out of the box” answer regardless of the approach. If I’m not mistaken, LiveChat has the option to post on registration etc, correct? If this is the case then a middleware script can create the contact and raise whatever tags need to be raised within Infusionsoft.

That’s just a cursory thought but from what I can tell from your post, that might be my initial approach.

1 Like

@John_Borelli, @James_Mefford, thank you very much for your replies! I have suggested the auto-tag option, based on the Action set and, so far, our customer is satisfied with the solution. We will also think about modifying our integration so that only Contact created with the use of LiveChat integration will be tagged with a specific phrase.

Once again, thank you very much for your help!