Mass updating tags

Hi!

I was wondering if there is a way to mass update a list of tags. I tried now to

1. Export a list of 137 tags
  2. Edit the tags in excel (changing tag names etc)
  3. Import the list of tags, matching the tag ID to the existing ID in the system.

This however ended up in me having 268 tags instead.

Did I do something wrong along the way or is it just not possible to mass update tags using a csv?

The reason for doing this is that we changed the way we name our tags to keep a better structure inside our application.

Best regards

Axel Bohlin

You do not ‘import’ the tags.
You need to do a ‘data cleanup’ action inside Admin.

Go under Admin, do Data Cleanup, then choose Tags from the dropdown. This will allow you to ‘edit’ the tags that are already existing, instead of creating new tags.

When you do the upload, just be sure that you match the TagID to the TagID field that you have on your spreadsheet to be sure that it updates the same tags.

email-sig-storybrand-certified-guide-60.png

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answer Jeff! I’ll try that right away!

:slightly_smiling_face:

It worked fine! Thanks once more for the help!

I’m reopening this question, because I have the exact scenario as Axel:

1. I exported over 400 tags
  2. Edit them in excel
  3. Import them back, matching the ID to “Your System’s Tag ID”.

Instead I get 400+ new tags (thank God for rollback). I have tried both with and without importing the Category.

The answer is not to edit the names of 400 tags manually!

There is no ‘Tags dropdown’ under ‘Data Cleanup’ as a previous answer refers to.

God bless, Gary Coulter

Are you trying to “rename” an existing tag? If yes, under CRM, Settings, then Tags you may search to find the existing tag. Then click the name of the tag to view it’s details. In this view you may rename the tag simply by editing the Tag Name and hitting the Save button. This changes the name of the tag everywhere it exists.
Or, are you trying to add a new tag to an existing contact? If yes, at a minimum you need two columns in your CSV file: Isoft ID and the Tag Name. When you map the columns during the Data Cleanup process (vs Import Data) you’ll see an option to create new tag… at the top of the available fields to map to.

I am trying to rename existing tags. The difficulty is that I already have all 400+ tags in excel, but apparently there is currently no way to ‘merge import’ tags.

God bless, Fr Gary Coulter

If you’re trying to import 400 new unique tags without actually applying them to any contact records you could import a dummy contact record with all the tags. First, Transpose your csv doc from 400 rows to 400 columns of data (copy, paste special, transpose). Then when you “import” you’d use the create tags from the data option when mapping each column. You’d need to map all 400 columns but would be easier/quicker than manually creating each tag.

Answer solved!

I was trying to import the tags by going to CRM>settings>Tags - “Import Tags”
Instead I had to go Admin>data clean up>modify existing records - “Tags”
(Didn’t know that existed.)

The actual import process is identical in both places, but the first will only create new tags, only the latter will allow you to rename / modify existing ones.