How we can work (in IS or anywhere) more efficiently and effectively

Sorry if this is rather off-topic, but it’s an important issue re. how we can work (in IS or anywhere) more efficiently and effectively:

Martin writes: [quote=“martinc, post:1, topic:809”]
Constantly multitasking while wishing I could actually multitask.
[/quote]
. . . which says so much!

We’ve become conditioned to multi-tasking and are expected to multi-task . … but few of us are actually very good at it.

What’s the alternative? How can we make better use of our time? As a soft-skills trainer, I’d be glad to share some thoughts and ideas. I appreciate that this might not be the right/best place to discuss this: any suggestions for somewhere better?

In the meantime, you might find this piece of interest.

Happy Multi-tasking!

Dr Keith Beasley
Faculty Director, BodyMind Institute

1 Like

Great article! I broke this out as a new topic in case others want to share wise-working habits.

“Wise working, particularly in a multi-tasking environment, is about knowing when to say “No”, not just to your boss or colleague, but to that inner voice.”

Totally agree. In our fast-paced work environment, my brain wants to immediately pause and classify every new idea or interaction, but saying, “no” to that inner voice helps me focus on one thing at a time…which is the only effective way I can work.

1 Like

Here’s an old blog post I wrote summarizing some multi-tasking ideas I was embracing during the first few months of Monkeypod.

Thanks Greg: useful suggestions. I’d probably go a bit further, more along the lines of Judi’s response to your blog: “I take some quiet time to think…no radio, no podcast” . . . i.e. time for reflection, an opportunity to assimilate the previous few hours and give the creative juices a chance.

I guess a big part of this question is to acknowledge that we are all different. Some of us need to be ‘Doing’ much more than others. The challenge is knowing when we’ve done enough for the time being.

For example, if we find ourselves getting irritated my little things or the mind just feels like mush . . . that;'s a pretty good indicator that we need to rest, at least mentally. As you say, walking the dog . . or just walking (!) are great opportunities to step back from the immediate mental activity. If we have somewhere nice to walk (park, lake, seaside, gardens) why not just watch the seasons go by . . . reconnect to the natural rhythms . . . trees, waves and birds can often be pretty inspiring too!

1 Like