How to cancel declined card reattempt when another card successfully charged

I have customers that attempt to buy my product and the first card they use is declined. They then use a second card which is successfully charged. The problem is, Infusionsoft continues to try and charge the first card (Default Max Retries = 3) which sometimes results in a successful charge causing the customer to be double charged. I do not want to completely turn off the retry feature, I only want to turn it off if another card was used successfully.

Is the second card being run on the same invoice or on a new one? If a new order is being created, then essentially Infusionsoft doesn’t know that the previous order is no longer needed and it will continue to attempt it. However, if the new card is added to the existing order and is successfully processed, then there is no balance to attempt & the original card would not be attempted at all. Does this scenario involve payment plans or subscriptions that are created simultaneously with the order?

1 Like

The second card is being run on a new invoice. This has only been an issue with the initial payment. We have both single payment and payment plans for this product. I suppose in a perfect world we’d like to suppress retries on the initial payment and only fire for the successive payments.

I think the point is that if you don’t have the second order but rather, just add the second card as a payment method tied to the first (and only) order, that would solve the issue.

1 Like

That’s what I assumed. Is this via the shopping cart, an order form or a custom solution (3rd party)? When a card declines via the native IS order forms and cart and is then updated & reattempted within the same session, the system is supposed to keep the same invoice, so this would not be an issue.

However, if you’re sending them a message inviting them to retry their purchase, this would prompt a new invoice to be created and the old one would still be active.

Is this what is occurring? If so, the only way (that I know of) to stop this is to either delete the invoice or go in and turn off the autocharge. If there is another solution (without resorting to using the API), I would LOVE to hear about it and share it with my clients.