Help with GDPR directive

Is there any help or are there any templates to help with this? I couldn’t find anything in the help centre apart from it’s our responsibility which isn’t very helpful!

1 Like

I am currently going through the process with another part of the company I work for, which use Mailchimp and they have set up an automated system that cleans your database.

Unfortunately it is really down to the user and not the supplier of the service, as holders of customers data we ultimately make the decision on what data we wish to hold on the individual and how we use that data, Infusionsoft is just a holder of said chosen data and to a certain extent they do need to prove that as a company they are compliant with the new policy but don’t have to offer any support. As long as you can prove where your data is stored and for what reasons, and that you have informed your customers about their data use with the option for them to edit or remove details then at the moment you should be fine. The new law is a little grey currently and until a large corporation is bought to task about failing to meet the GDPR policy we wont really understand fully the possible ramifications of failing to comply.

I have been looking at workarounds for Infusionsoft such as sending out a blanket email to ask for people to confirm they are still willing to receive emails, and clicking a link at the bottom which with tag them with a GDPR tag.

That way it will allow us to only send emails to these customers with the tag applied. I will also be adding a detailed description on our signup forms which give the client the option to select general email marketing which in turn will also give them the same GDPR tag.

Apart from that there is not much more we can do from a Email Marketing aspect, and the only thing that we need from Infusionsoft is there documentation and GDPR policy to add into our companies policy, which I have been informed that they are working on as I type this :slight_smile:

Thanks Steve. Whilst I accept what you say IS does currently have ‘rules’ when uploading customer email data. All I’m looking for is guidance on how to set-it up for GDPR and use that information going forward. There seems a lot of conflicting advice on GDPR. Whilst I accept it is down to us, I would have expected a company the size of IS to issue guidance to ensure their customers are aware of what they need to do to comply. For example, I was under the impression that we had to get everyone to (re-)opt in and yet I have received an email from one of my competitors this morning which makes it incumbent on the user to deselect the services they don’t want.

This is the biggest issue I have had trying to get my head around the whole situation. Having spoken to a number of people about this, I have set up the following on our website which from my understanding will be enough to overcome any possible issue down the line regarding GDPR.

We only hold email, address and names of our clients, no payment details are held so it makes it alot easier for us, but essentially I have set up a generic email which will go to are whole data base with a link for them to click which basically asks their permission to send them our marketing material. Once clicked I have set up a tag with will tag said client with a GDPR tag, allowing me to then market only to these clients.

In terms of the sign up forms i have set up a seperate landing page using Infusionsoft Landing Page option which has excatly the same set up with a button at the bottom for them to click which will update their profile.

This is linked to our current campaigns and is a sort of midpoint before they receive the guide, which we offer.

Essentially you just have to be seen to offer you database the option to keep receiving your marketing material or to remove themselves from the list. Ongoing if you have a set up in place which informs them of the option to receive or not receive marketing you will be fine.

Also worth noting that even if they decline to recieve marketing you can still email them through the normal method of