First sentence customer reads in Inbox

Is there anyway to hide the sentence “Having trouble viewing this email? Click here” from appearing in what your customers will first see in their Inbox? (In email templates, not campaign builder).

We sill want it to appear in the email when it’s opened, but it would be nice not to have this sentence the first thing a customer reads in their Inbox.

-Cheers!

Not sure if I’m understanding perfectly here, but if you mean the email preview then no, because email clients are actually treating the preview as an email view only with a different way of displaying it. It’s the same reason open rates can’t accurately be measured…previews are just mini opens of an email, and there isn’t any way to distinguish between the two in the email.

Hi @Anthony_Giancola, @John_Borelli is probably on target. I’ve seen these messages and would think each email client handles them differently. In my case, Outlook puts these messages between the email header details and the body. They also have an ‘information’ icon to the left of them so readers know they are helpful details and not part of the message. Like @John_Borelli I don’t know if you can change them.

Regards

This is because the new Email Builder sends emails as multipart/alternative MIME-encoded with a plain text section containing the content you mentioned, as well as the HTML section which has the body of your email template. The plain text section is placed at the beginning of the email, and some mail clients will choose to display this text as the “second subject line”.

To the best of my knowledge (I work more on backend systems and don’t use the Infusionsoft interface every day), there is no way to change this in the new Email Builder. The plain text portion isn’t available for editing and there isn’t an option to send the email as plain text only or HTML only. The legacy email builder does have the option to send as plain text only or HTML only, but I don’t know offhand whether you can modify the plain text content or reorder it to be after the HTML content.

Making this “second subject line” more customizable is something I’ve suggested to our developers recently as a feature request, and I’ll pass along your feedback as well.

3 Likes

@David_Carriger, thanks for the details, very helpful.

Thanks for the help!
That’s too bad it can’t be changed. We had two customers that told us they didn’t open our emails because that was the first sentence they saw… it looked suspicious.

Cheers!!

1 Like

Hi Anthony,

What I did is that I am copying the first sentence of my email content and paste above “Having trouble viewing this email? Click here” and colored it white.

-Best regards

I do this sometimes too but don’t feel restricted to repeat the first sentence. You can use the white text to make your contact more compelled to open. Think “Dear John, Our fall special…” vs. “Coupon expires today!” in that area. 2nd option is probably better!

If you look at your own inbox, you’ll see other marketers do the same.

I agree if would be helpful if this was a feature rather than this error-prone work around. It’s too easy to copy a previous email and forget to change the white text. Plus some users use a black background for easier reading or to save battery and they will see this dangling text at the top of your email.