Duplicate call to addWithDupCheck detected

I’m getting an exception, “Duplicate call to addWithDupCheck detected” in an application that creates and updates Contact records.

For what it’s worth, I’m using the Novak Solutions SDK, so XML-RPC, but I see someone else’s issue on github wondering about the same error on the infusionsoft-php library (Duplicate call to addWithDupCheck detected · Issue #108 · infusionsoft/infusionsoft-php · GitHub) - and so that makes me think it is an Infusionsoft issue and I am posting here instead of the issue queue for the library.

What I expect to happen is for the addWithDupCheck to return a contact ID if the contact already exists. As far as I know, this was the behavior until about two weeks ago.

I reviewed the API documentation for this method and can’t find anything regarding duplicate calls.

Is it a bug, or expected behavior? If it is not a bug, I’d like learn more about when addWithDupCheck is allowed and when it is not.

Great job on the new forums, I am glad to have them back.

Hi @calebtr,

So the addWithDupCheck method has a 5 second repeat warning that you’ve described. You can run tests that are separated by 10 seconds and should not get a message but if you call back to back then you should. Specifically with the Novak implementation, I know that if an error is detected in the call then it retries the call so if a “glitch” in that mechanism is happening then it could be possible for it to come across as a duplicate call message.

1 Like

That explains it perfectly - am I right that this is undocumented?

For the number of errors I’m seeing, it sounds like I need to do a better job de-duping the data myself.

First, it seems the 5 seconds is wrong according to @MichaelFairchild (who definitely would know). It’s 5 minutes.

It is not in any documentation that I’ve seen (except maybe on Novaksolutions.com where they have an “api gotcha” page.

I personally keep a log or database transaction record to manage this but you can also just check for the error message and respond gracefully.

1 Like

I just implemented a simple try/catch/finally to catch all Exceptions returned and handled it accordingly. This seems to have solved the issue for us…

if ($infusionsoft->getToken()) {
	try {
		$contact = array('FirstName' => 'John', 'LastName' => 'Doe', 'Email' => 'johndoe@mailinator.com');
		$cid = $infusionsoft->contacts->addWithDupCheck($contact, 'Email');
	}
	catch (Exception $e) {
		if (!$cid || $e instanceof \Infusionsoft\TokenExpiredException) {
			$infusionsoft->refreshAccessToken();
			$token = serialize($infusionsoft->getToken());
		}
	}
	finally {
		if( serialize($infusionsoft->getToken()) ) {
			$_SESSION['token'] = serialize($infusionsoft->getToken());
		}
		else {
			echo '<a href="' . $infusionsoft->getAuthorizationUrl() . '">Click here to authorize</a>';
		}
	}
}
else {
	echo '<a href="' . $infusionsoft->getAuthorizationUrl() . '">Click here to authorize</a>';
}
1 Like

If you would like to receive an email notification when we have resolved the issue please navigate to the known issues page (http://knownissues.infusionsoft.com/) Find “ContactService.addWithDupChecking isn’t allowing duplicate checking to be done within a set amount of time” and choose “Report this issue for your app”. Fill out the form and you will be notified when this issue is resolved.