Contact Password Field

Hi,

I am retrieving a contact using the following API endpoint:

https://developer.infusionsoft.com/docs/rest/#!/Contact/getContactUsingGET

The issue I am having is that I am not able to return the password field for the contact. I have tried a lot of combinations in the optional_properties parameter but none seem to work.

Is it possible to retrieve the password field like this? If so, can you help me with the field name I should be using in the option_properties paramter?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

@Michael_Daly, going forward we won’t be supporting a plain-text stored password field in the Contact record, so it’s not represented in the REST API. You can use the XML-RPC API to retrieve it for now, but we suggest that, if you have a need to provide some kind of authentication/login system for a user who is related to a Contact locally, you adopt a standard identity provider that can guarantee security.

We use Apereo CAS to back Infusionsoft Accounts currently, but that’s probably more enterprise-y than most small companies require, and you can easily get along using Google Identity Platform, Facebook Login or other equivalent services to provide secure login flows without storing passwords locally.

@TomScott thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the late response.

The information you provided makes sense and addresses a lot of the concerns I had with the API.

When you said I ‘can use the XML-RPC for now’, is it planned for deprecation in the future? Or can I use it on a long-term basis?

If the plan is to deprecate it or to remove the password functionality, then I will consider another solution now, otherwise, I will go ahead and use the XML-RPC.

Thanks again

Yes, the XML-RPC API will be depreciated in favor of the REST API, although I don’t have a timeline I can provide at the moment.

@TomScott, the link to this page was passed along to me as I’m maintaining quite a few older sites that utilize the XML-RPC API. Are there plans to deprecate this api, and if so when?

@TomScott, great, so are we talking about days, weeks, years, decades? Can you narrow it down a bit? ;-}

@TomScott, great, so are we talking about days, weeks, years, decades? Can you narrow it down a bit? ;-}