Campaigns "In the past"

We have a campaign that has been running for the last few months but all of a sudden it says that it is “in the past” for a lot of our members. Has anyone ever had this before? A lot of our members are no longer in the campaign anymore.

Thanks!

It sounds like you have a timer set that is either a field timer that has a date in the past, or a date timer that is using a date in the past.

Can you share screenshots of all the timers you have in the campaign?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hello Jeff,

This is what we have on the campaign

If you look at those people who have ‘occurred in the past’, I’m guessing you will find that their ‘membership expiry’ date was less than 30 days away, or passed, when they entered the sequence.

I am not sure how that is possible, the expiry date should be set one year from the join date so they should never be 30 days away or past the membership expiry when they enter the sequence.

Can u send me screenshots of one of the examples - the campaign history along with the date in the ‘membership expiry’ field?

I am not sure how the expiry dates are applied but I do know we haven’t changed the process and it was working last year.

You need to change the timer that you have in the sequence.

Right now you have “next occurrence”. In this scenario, you put the guy into the sequence on Feb 5, 2019 with a renewal date of Feb 20, 2020. The timer is set to trigger 30 days before the ‘next occurrence’, which means that it wants to trigger 30 days before the next Feb 20, which means that it is trying to trigger 30 days before Feb 20, 2019, which is in the past.

Since your renewal date is Year-specific, change the timer to say “30 days before” and then, instead of ‘next occurrence’ change to “use the date in the field”. That will wait until 30 days prior to the actual date in the fields, so it will wait until 30 days prior to Feb 20, 2020.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Arnold, President

4Spot Marketing

Infusionsoft Certified Partner

PlusThis Certified Partner

Zapier Certified Expert

4Spot Marketing • 4SpotMarketing.com

11700 W Charleston #170-160 • Las Vegas • NV • 89135

O: 702-721-9763 • C: 702-525-9763

Client TestimonialsBook an Appointment

ok great, I will try that - thank you!

Hi Jeff,

Sorry just one thing, in the example I sent you his expiry date is the 5th of Feb 2020. So they date they go into the sequence should be exactly the same as their expiry date just a year later.

Does what you are saying still apply?

Thanks,

Chans

It will depend on the timers. If it’s a field timer then any number of calculations could be applied and in fact, if it worked last year but isn’t this year then it sounds like it would be 2018 specific and you may need to update the timers to coincide with 2019.

Hi Jeff,

I have updated the sequence as per your recommendation, it looks like all new members who are signing up since I have made the change are being correctly added to the campaign so thank you!

The only issue I am left with now is that we have lots of historic members who still have the campaign “in the past” do you have any suggestions of how I can fix the campaign for them?

Thanks,

Chans

Glad to hear that worked for you.

For those ‘in the past’ … you can create a new, temporary tag and sequence at attach it to the end of the existing sequence.

Create a tag of “TEMP: Restart In the Past Clients”.

Have that connect to a sequence and have that sequence apply the tag that starts your campaign.

Then, go in and choose all the contacts who are ‘in the past’, bulk apply the “TEMP…” tag.

That will pull them out of the sequence they are in, put then into the new sequence, and then restart the sequence that should be running.

image.png

After that processes, you can go in and delete the TEMP tag application and the sequence, then go into your CRM settings and delete the TEMP tag.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Hello,

This sounds interesting (and confusing!)

This is what the current sequence looks like

Where would I attach the temporary tag? Ultimately I would need to put all these members back in from the start of the campaign as they seem to have been excluded from the whole sequence.

Thanks,

Chans

Here is where you would add that and how it would circle back.

To clarify, the tag that is in the new sequence would apply the tag at the start of your campaign (they wouldn’t be attached).

ONE NOTE – if the tag that you have at the start of the campaign is not being removed immediately, you must remove it before trying to apply it again. You can do that automatically inside the sequence. If you don’t have that tag removed, then you will try to apply a tag that is already applied and nothing will work.

Here is a quick video:

Jeff

ok thanks! The video is really helpful as well.

I am going to look at this when I am back in the office on Thursday with fresh eyes. I studied English Literature at university so that should give you a good idea of how extensive my knowledge of data and building campaigns is…!

I’m sure we’ll speak again on Thursday Jeff :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Chans

Sounds good.
We’re avail for some consulting work, too, if you need someone to really dig in and get some stuff built.

Just let know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello,

That sounds pretty great. How does that work? Could you give me an idea of cost etc and I will run that past my CEO? I think we could really do with this kind of technical support in a more official capacity.

Thanks,

Chans

Chandi:

Please email me at Jeff@4spotmarketing.com and I will send over a proposal with the various options.

Thanks,

Jeff