Billing automation triggers

We have a software product that uses InfusionSoft to collect payment for monthly subscriptions. If a user’s payment method fails to charge in a given month we shut down access to their account in our software. We achieve this using the billing automation triggers

We have various billing automation triggers setup to handle successful invoice payments as well as 1st and 2nd invoice failures. These triggers make POSTs to restrict access to our service.

But we have seen sporadically that these triggers don’t fire if there is (for whatever reason) no credit card attached to a user’s subscription. So my question is: does InfusionSoft run billing automation triggers even if there is no credit card to run an invoice against?

I have a feeling the answer is no, because it seems to make sense that no CC means that the invoice isn’t charged at all, meaning no failure and no success. I’d just like to get confirmation from people more knowledgable about this so we can adjust our software accordingly.

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

The triggers ONLY run on a successful or declined attempt on a credit card. If the card is missing or expired, the triggers will not run (thus the importance of the expiring CC triggers also).

I manage subscriptions for several clients and looking for orders with expired or no card is one of the things I look for. Can I ask how you’re ending up with subscriptions with no CC attached?

Camille

We have a slew of campaigns with various actions that could be causing subscriptions with no CCs attached. We are going to do an audit to find out exactly where this could originate from, but we won’t know for sure until that happens.

Thanks for the confirmation of my suspicion. We should be able to work around this now that we know what’s going on.

1 Like